The feature film and events hit list is supported by a multimillion-dollar war chest in the Gold Coast City budget to be delivered on June 22.
Gold Coast Mayor Tom Tate said the money, on top of the major events budget, allowed the city to pounce on events vulnerable to being enticed away from their former hosts.
“We are looking at getting more films, absolutely,” Tate told InQueensland.
While the Gold Coast has suffered the cancellation of its share of major events related to COVID-19, including the Gold Coast Marathon, the GC600 and the annual Logie Awards, Tate said Sydney and Melbourne had been hit harder and their hold on events was more exposed.
“I lead the city and if I see an opportunity or a gap, I put the accelerator on.”
He said the Coast, which was the only local government body in the country to offer its own film incentive, would use its advantages as well as cash for the incursion on feature films.
Non-financial advantages included offering filmmakers a streamlined single-body approach for approvals, reducing red tape when applying for such things as permits, facilities, locations and ongoing support throughout production.
“What happens here is that we’ve got the state of Queensland vying for feature films against Victoria and NSW. When it gets close, we can whack a bit more in in-kind and in cash,” he said.
He said the Gold Coast would use the funding to swoop on events as well as films, just as the city had been able to secure the AFL mini-hub for the Gold Coast when negotiations were at loggerheads with Perth.
“In the past we’ve been able to punch above our weight in gaining events or other industry,” he said.
This article is supported by the Judith Neilson Institute for Journalism and Ideas
Jump to next article