InQueensland

NEWS •⁠ POLITICS •⁠ BUSINESS •⁠ CULTURE

Get InQueensland in your inbox Subscribe

Homicide investigation into death of boy who was thought to have drowned

News

Queensland police are investigating the death of a four-year-old boy in the Mackay region after a post-mortem indicated he did not drown as first thought.

Print article

The boy’s death on August 29 at Munburra, near Sarina, was initially reported as a suspected drowning in a residential pool, but the scientific findings have led to detectives re-examining the case.

Results indicate “the cause of death was inconsistent with drowning”, Queensland Police said in a statement on Wednesday.

“A post-mortem and scientific examination has now indicated the cause of death was inconsistent with drowning and as such, police have commenced a homicide investigation codenamed Operation Tango Anise.

“The circumstances surrounding how and why the child was located in the pool remain under investigation at this time.”

Detective Inspector Tom Armitt said the boy lived with his mother and the family had been cooperative with police.

“We’re dealing with the death of a four-year-old boy and obviously a small child … relies heavily on the care of other people,” he said on Thursday.

“His death is treated with the upmost seriousness of any other homicide that we would be conducting.”

 

More News stories

Loading next article