InQueensland

NEWS •⁠ POLITICS •⁠ BUSINESS •⁠ CULTURE

Get InQueensland in your inbox Subscribe

Evidence mix-up delays trial of man accused of raping Brittany Higgins

News

The case against the man charged with raping Brittany Higgins has been delayed because his lawyer received the wrong brief of evidence.

Print article

Bruce Lehrmann’s barrister told ACT Magistrates Court on Thursday he initially received a brief containing information to which he should not have access.

John Korn said another brief had been couriered to him, but it would take two weeks to go though and requested an adjournment.

Prosecutors indicated they were ready to commit the case to trial but did not oppose the adjournment.

Korn indicated there were issues around COVID-19 travel restrictions.

“If he (Lehrmann) comes to NSW, he has to quarantine for a fortnight,” he said.

Lehrmann appeared in court via a phone link charged with sexual intercourse without consent at Parliament House in March 2019.

When asked by magistrate Beth Campbell if he could hear the proceedings, the 26-year-old replied: “I can, Your Honour”.

The court was previously told Lehrmann, who was in Queensland, had instructed his defence to enter a plea of not guilty.

His case is due to return to court on November 5.

Ms Higgins went public in February alleging a then-unnamed colleague raped her in the office of minister Linda Reynolds.

More News stories

Loading next article