InQueensland

NEWS •⁠ POLITICS •⁠ BUSINESS •⁠ CULTURE

Get InQueensland in your inbox Subscribe

Mackay Hospital joins Caboolture as focus of official malpractice inquiry

News

A second major Queensland hospital has launched an independent inquiry into alleged malpractice, with the Liberal National Party warning the health system is out of control.

Print article

Health Minister Yvette D’Ath says Mackay Hospital and Health Services have launched a probed into allegations involving staff at the Mackay Base Hospital.

“I have only been advised of that in the last 24 hours. I’m seeking information formed by HHS as to why that is the case, and I’m happy to provide further information as I get a proper briefing from that hospital,” she told state parliament on Tuesday.

Mackay HHS chief executive Lisa Davies Jones reportedly commissioned the investigation after patient advocate Beryl Crosby contacted her with concerns about serious patient safety issues.

Ms Davies Jones will seek an independent expert through the Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists to head the review, the ABC reports..

The review comes amid another review into alleged malpractice at the Caboolture Hospital, which was launched last month.

That inquiry, headed by eminent South Australian surgeon Dr James Sweeney, was due to finish on Monday but will now conclude on October 25.

The review was ordered after the opposition LNP aired claims of preventable deaths, surgical negligence, and a culture of bullying at the hospital north of Brisbane.

Metro North Health Board chair Jim McGowan said the inquiry had already interviewed a number of patients and staff.

Since August 31, there have been 93 calls to a hotline set up for people to report their care and treatment at Caboolture Hospital.

LNP health spokeswoman Ros Bates said the two inquiries showed that the state’s health crisis was deepening amid ongoing issues with capacity and ambulance ramping.

“First it was Caboolture, now it’s Mackay,” Ms Bates said.

“Two major hospitals are now at the centre of shocking allegations which are now under review.

“As a nurse and former hospital administrator I know that patient care must be the top priority.

“All Queenslanders deserve a world-class health system no matter where they live and I’d encourage Queenslander to tell their stories.”

More News stories

Loading next article