Get InQueensland in your inbox Subscribe

Two teens charged over attempted murder of rugby great Kefu


Wallabies great Toutai Kefu and his family are recovering in hospital from sickening injuries inflicted by a gang of teens who attacked them with an axe, a machete and a knife.

Print article

Two boys, aged 13 and 15, have been charged over the disturbing home invasion at the family’s Brisbane home in the early hours of Monday morning.

A second 15-year-old boy is also in custody. He will be charged but he’s currently in hospital with undisclosed injuries that are not considered serious.

Kefu, 47, suffered critical wounds to his abdomen while trying to defend his family.

His wife Rachel, 46, sustained severe arm injuries. Son Josh, 21, was wounded on his back and arm, and daughter Madi, 18, had arm and hand injuries.

Another daughter Olivia Kefu took to social media early on Tuesday to update concerned relatives and friends.

“Both Josh and Dad had their surgery’s yesterday and are recovering well. Madi and Mum will have their operations this morning,” she wrote.

“Thank you to everyone for all the kind messages and support, it means the absolute world to us all.”

The 15-year-old boy who has been charged is accused of attempted murder, assault causing grievous bodily harm, break and enter and other offences.

The 13-year-old is accused of burglary and wounding in relation to the raid on the Kefu home. But he’s also been charged over an earlier burglary that saw a silver Hyundai SUV stolen from a Forest Lake home.

Police say the Hyundai was used to target the Kefu residence about 45 minutes later. It is yet to be found.

Officers are also still searching for the machete used in the attack but have recovered the axe and the knife.

Assistant Commissioner Brian Swan has appealed for help to find the vehicle, registration 435 VJP.

“This was a really horrific incident,” he told reporters on Tuesday.

“Obviously our thoughts and prayers are with the Kefu family who I understand are still recovering in hospital.”

He defended the police response after Queensland Police Union president Ian Leavers took aim at senior officers, claiming they’d left Coorparoo unprotected with “no local police patrols at all” when the family was attacked.

He said the first officers arrived within six minutes of the call for help.

“Six minutes is actually better than what we average across that area for first response to urgent matters. It’s actually a minute and a half quicker than what we would normally see.”

He said there were some issues with sick leave that night, but the police service was nimble and shared resources across policing areas to ensure demand was met.

“I’m comfortable that we had the resources required for that part of south Brisbane on Sunday.”

More News stories

Loading next article