Metropolitan Police Commissioner Cressida Dick said London police working with prosecutors had already reviewed the case twice before Virginia Giuffre, one of convicted sex offender Jeffrey Epstein’s long-time accusers, sued Andrew, 61, in a US federal court this week.
“As a result of what’s going on, I’ve asked my team to have another look at the material,” Dick told UK radio station LBC.
“No one is above the law.”
Giuffre’s lawsuit accuses the prince of sexually assaulting her in 2001, when she was 17 years old.
Andrew, the third of Queen Elizabeth’s four children, has repeatedly denied the allegations.
“We are, of course, open to working with authorities from overseas,” the police chief said on Thursday.
“We will give them every assistance if they ask us for anything, within the law, obviously.”
Giuffre alleges that Epstein forced her to have sex with Andrew.
Her suit says she had sexual encounters with the prince in London, New York and the US Virgin Islands, and that he knew she had been trafficked by Epstein.
Epstein was found dead in his prison cell in 2019 after he was held on charges of sex trafficking of minors.
Meanwhile, Prince Charles has reportedly said his brother Prince Andrew is not likely to return to public life.
The Times newspaper on Thursday cited sources close to Prince Charles as saying the prince sees “no way back to public life” due to the scandal, adding that Andrew’s links to Epstein posed a reputational risk for the UK royals.Jump to next article