Get InQueensland in your inbox Subscribe

Man stabbed to death as he arrived home from work: 'wife' faces murder charge


A woman has been charged after allegedly stabbing a man to death when he returned home.

Print article

The man, who was known to the woman, was attacked at the home at Newmarket in Brisbane’s inner north-west around 7pm on Wednesday, Queensland Police said.

The 51-year-old died at the scene.

“To come home, you know, and see a man stabbed on the street it’s just horrific really,” a neighbour told Nine Network.

“We live here and obviously we thought it was a safe neighbourhood.”

A woman, 53, from Kangaroo Point, has been charged with one count of murder, two counts of assault occasioning bodily harm and one count of going armed so as to cause fear.

The ABC is reporting that the woman may have been the estranged wife of the victim.

She will appear in Brisbane Magistrates Court on Thursday.

Meanwhile, a man has been charged with murdering a young Queensland woman discovered stabbed to death inside a northern Tasmanian home.

Gabrielle McCarthy, 23, was found dead in the early hours of Tuesday at a friend’s home in the small coastal town of Ulverstone.

A 35-year-old Ulverstone man was arrested at a house on the same street later that morning and was charged with Ms McCarthy’s murder on Wednesday evening.

He will face Devonport Magistrates Court on Thursday morning.

“Our thoughts and condolences are with the family and loved ones of the deceased,” Tasmania Police said in a statement.

Investigators said Ms McCarthy suffered knife wounds “consistent with being murdered”.

“A beautiful soul who wanted nothing but peace in her life was taken away from us,” her brother Casey posted on Facebook.

“Gabs, we love you, we’re sorry we couldn’t protect you and I’m awfully sorry this happened to you. We love you always sweetheart, and will forever miss you.

“May you now be in peace my beautiful baby sister.”

He said Gabrielle moved to Tasmania three weeks ago and was trying to turn her life around.

Police say her friend called triple zero around 3am on Tuesday to report a man “prowling” in the house.

She stayed on the line for 11 minutes. In that time, officers arrived and discovered Gabrielle’s body in a room.

There is no known link between Gabrielle and the man, investigators say.

Police on Wednesday continued to gather evidence from the house where the man was arrested and blocked off an area in between that property and the crime scene.

Anyone who may have seen anything suspicious has been asked to come forward.


More News stories

Loading next article