Get InQueensland in your inbox Subscribe

Gympie man, 28, charged after six-hour shooting rampage, police allege


A man has been charged after he allegedly fired a shotgun more than 16 times in a frightening attack at his Gympie workplace in on the weekend.

Print article

The 28-year-old man was arrested after allegedly going on a six-hour rampage in Gympie that started when he threatened to shoot a colleague at a hotel just before 6:00pm on Saturday.

A woman was allegedly forced to flee with her children after the man then returned home and argued with her.

It is alleged the man then took a 12-gauge shotgun from his safe and fired two shots while sitting in his black Holden Commodore sedan parked outside the home.

Police said the man began driving along Excelsior Road where he allegedly fired two more shots into the air and drove to his colleague’s address.

When he could not find his colleague, police said the man then fired the gun three times into the air outside the unit block.

While allegedly performing a burnout in the driveway of the complex, the man’s rear tyres dislodged from his wheel rims.

The man allegedly continued to drive around Gympie without tyres on the rear rims.

Police alleged the man drove to his work site where he fired shots into the air before ramming the gates with his car, causing extensive damage.

It has been alleged the man discharged his firearm about 16 times into the metal office door to gain entry.

He allegedly took the keys to a truck and travelled along Tin Can Bay Road to the Freshwater Track at Rainbow Beach where he allegedly drove 15 kilometres along the sand track before crashing the truck into a tree.

At 1:30am the man was located by police at the Freshwater Campgrounds and taken into custody and the 12-gauge shotgun was allegedly found nearby.

He has been charged with four counts of dangerous conduct with a weapon, two counts of wilful damage and one count each of dangerous operation of a vehicle, enter premise and commit, unlawful use of motor vehicle and use a carriage service to make a threat.

The man was denied bail. He is due to appear in Gympie Magistrates Court on Monday.

Police are calling for any witnesses who may have seen any of these incidents, or the vehicle that was used, to contact police.

– ABC / Jessica Lamb and Edwina Storie

More News stories

Loading next article