InQueensland

NEWS •⁠ POLITICS •⁠ BUSINESS •⁠ CULTURE

Get InQueensland in your inbox Subscribe

Victoria notches perfect 'quaddie' - another day of double zeros

News

Victoria has recorded its fourth consecutive day of zero coronavirus cases and no further deaths, as Melburnians enjoy their first public holiday since emerging from lockdown.

Print article

The latest figures, issued by the Department of Health and Human Services, bring Melbourne’s 14-day rolling average to 1.9 cases.

“This is the quaddie we want for the last 4 days: 0,0,0,0,” Victoria’s Chief Health Officer Brett Sutton posted on Twitter.

NSW has recorded one new locally acquired case of COVID-19 as Queensland opens its border to regional NSW residents for the first time in almost four months.

The local case was linked to a known cluster and there were also two cases in returned travellers in hotel quarantine diagnosed in the 8550 tests in the 24 hours to 8pm on Monday.

The number of “mystery” cases in Melbourne has risen from one on Monday to two on Tuesday. The statistic covers the fortnight to October 31.

Professor Sutton tweeted on Monday afternoon it was not a cause for alarm.

“We have three cases still under investigation from the last week. There are no ‘red flags’ with these cases, with all close contacts testing negative and two of the cases possibly historical or resolved,” he wrote.

“Will probably add to our #mysterycases but doesn’t materially change risk.”

Regional Victoria, meanwhile, has recorded no cases in the past fortnight.

Professor Sutton said 12,841 tests have been received since Monday.

Melbourne Cup Day will be marked on Tuesday with Flemington off-limits to any spectators for the race that ‘stops the nation’.

Pubs and bars are open to pick up the slack but limited to caps of 50 people outdoors and 20 indoors.

Only two adults plus dependants from one household are allowed over for a cup day party.

Parks are likely to be a popular option for groups up to 10, as temperatures across the city soar into the high 20s.

As of Monday, there were 49 active COVID-19 cases in Victoria, the lowest number since June 15, after peaking at 7880 on August 11.

Transport Infrastructure Minister Jacinta Allan has linked the low case numbers to people practising social distancing and wearing masks.

“We are going to need to continue to do that for the months ahead,” she said on Monday.

More restrictions are due to ease in Melbourne from 11:59pm on Sunday, including the scrapping of a so-called “ring of steel” dividing the city from the regions and a 25km travel limit.

Patron caps on pubs and restaurants will also increase to up to 40 people inside and 70 outside.

The state’s virus death toll remains at 819 and the national figure at 907.

Meanwhile, hardware giant Bunnings announced its much-loved sausage sizzles will restart at regional Victorian stores from mid-November.

-AAP

More News stories

Loading next article