InQueensland

NEWS •⁠ POLITICS •⁠ BUSINESS •⁠ CULTURE

Get InQueensland in your inbox Subscribe

PM hoses down fears that Beirut tragedy could be repeated here

News

Prime Minister Scott Morrison has hosed down concerns Australia is at risk of a similar explosion to the catastrophe that killed at least 137 people in Lebanon.

Print article

The massive ammonium nitrate blast in Beirut has trigged fears about Newcastle’s stockpile of the substance, three kilometres from the NSW city’s CBD.

While 2750 tonnes detonated in the Lebanese capital, between 6000 and 12,000 tonnes are believed to be in Newcastle.

But the prime minister is adamant strict regulation in Australia is the key difference between the two countries.

“What happened in Beirut is just the most awful of tragedies and a terrible accident,” Morrison told 2GB radio on Friday.

He said Beirut’s port is Hezbollah-controlled and the chemicals had been next to a fireworks dump for six years.

“These are not the circumstances of Australia. Those materials, there are very strict regulations on how they are used,” Morrison said.

One Australian was killed in the devastating explosion that injured more than 5000 and left widespread destruction across the city.

The Federal Government is weighing up more support for Lebanon to cope with the devastating fallout after pledging $2 million to the relief effort.

-AAP

More News stories

Loading next article