The two-lane curved overpass at Bald Hills connects the northbound motorway with the M1 leading onto the Bruce Highway. It carries about 40,000 vehicles every weekday and is a key thoroughfare for heavy vehicles seeking to avoid the more populated parts of Brisbane.
However, an inspection last year found the flyover was “operating at reduced safety margins,” prompting the State Government to impose restrictions on heavy vehicles, start to mitigate the risks and consider additional preventive measures. This came as other sections of the motorway and highway were being upgraded, to cope with increased traffic volumes, making the flyover a potential bottleneck.
While $2 million in government funding was allocated to investigate and respond to the safety risk, a further $24.6 million was set aside as part of a stimulus package announced by Prime Minister Scott Morrison and Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk on Monday.
In answer to questions from InQueensland, the state Department of Transport and Main Roads confirmed the additional funding was needed to prop up the flyover.
“The existing flyover structure will retain the same number of lanes and alignment,” a spokeswoman said in a statement.
“The $24.6 million project includes design investigations, monitoring and strengthening the structure by building reinforced concrete infills.
“It will also include road and shoulder works on Gympie Road to allow for the concrete infills to be built.”
The project will require further restrictions and cause traffic delays but is expected to be completed by the end of the year.
In announcing the joint commonwealth-state funding, federal Minister for Population, Cities and Urban Infrastructure Alan Tudge said it would “help bust congestion on this busy bridge” and make it safer and more efficient.Jump to next article