Just weeks after being one of the harshest critics of the game’s efforts to resume late next month, Palaszczuk confirmed she had received the NRL’s safety plan.
That has now been passed onto the state’s Chief Health Officer Dr Jeannette Young, who will assess the sport’s bid.
At this stage, Queensland clubs face being forced to go into camp in NSW for the competition’s planned resumption on May 28 due to the Sunshine State’s border closure.
However, Queensland has been one of the first states to relax some of its major coronavirus restrictions, offering some hope to the more than 150 players and staff members.
“Everyone wants to see sport come back in some shape or form,” Palaszczuk told ABC on Monday.
“It needs to be safe for the players and the teams, and it needs to be safe for the community.
“As long as those sporting codes can tick that off, we’ve also had a submission from another sporting code as well. And we’re assessing that as well.”
The NSW Government has previously said the NRL will be able to return on the basis of a safe workplace.
The league sent clubs a draft document of safety guidelines on Sunday night while include the ability to make players move from their current home if it is considered a risk.
Players and staff are also banned from exercising in public outside of their club’s training base, having visitors and using public transport.
Palaszczuk, meanwhile, hinted that the AFL was another major competition to submit a report as part of its hopes of returning to the field.
The national cabinet is set to discuss frameworks for the return of sport at an elite, club and recreational level on Friday.
Those principles will be handed to the State Government to be used as guidelines for whether sport should return within their jurisdiction.
“I look forward to that discussion as well. I think that those national principles are a key,” Palaszczuk said.Jump to next article